Thursday, May 17, 2012

Finishing My Novel, Day Four

Editing this monstrosity of a paranormal romance novel has been equal parts pain and pleasure. When things are good, they're incredibly good. I feel like... Well. Like this is me and all of the characters in my book:


But sometimes I run into roadblocks. Difficult scenes. Blank spots. Uncooperative characters. A sarcastic and sour muse who sits in the corner and stares at me like this:

 Note: my muse is NOT the evil stepmother from Cinderella - but how awesome would that be?

At any rate, today is one of those writing days that is has run the gamut of good and bad. I just finished a really excellent scene where one of my characters fell into a role I had no idea he was going to play - but he played it beautifully. The dialogue came natural and fast. And my poor hero is experiencing early heartbreak. Recipe for a good scene! I moved on to what I thought was going to an equally good scene with the angsting heroine and her conniving betrayer of a best friend. Sounds pretty good too, right? Wrong! Muse staring at me from the corner and refusing to cooperate. 

Hence I'm writing this blog post instead of actually writing my book.

Le sigh.

Overall progress is... progressing. I'd say I'm a solid third of the way through this book. And I feel very good about everything I have so far. The rest is much more action-y and sex-ridden (woo hoo!), so it ought to go fast once it starts. I just need to wrangle my damn muse out of the rafters and get him to work for me. Anyone know any good cowboys who could be of help? Or maybe the perfect recipe for muse attraction? 

No comments:

Post a Comment